Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother's day


Umma, thank you for all that you've done for me. You are nowhere near a "bad parent". I hope you didn't/don't beat yourself up too much about what happened with me. Nobody's perfect. It wasn't your fault and it was not my fault either -- it was just my screwed up brain. I hope you've forgiven yourself for not "looking after me more". Because you've raised me to be so independent, I can do really anything by myself without anyone's help. And not being able to afford college? Well, it really doesn't matter now because it all worked out! You have continuously tried to provide the best for me -- and coming to the U.S. you did for my education, and I am eternally thankful for that. I've never said this to you directly but I really respect you and really aspire to be like you. You are so intelligent and articulate and I just really wish I was as smart and as fluent as you. You always know what to say and how to say things well and I am pretty sad I am not as eloquent. And your smartness!! Wow, you and dad, you both are the smartest people I know. If you were given the opportunities that I have now,  you probably would have done something greater -- even though you deny this b/c you always say that you were too lazy to do anything with your education. I know I know, you continue to push me because a part of you wants me to accomplish what you couldn't. And I promise I'll make you proud!
And you have been the shoulder to cry and lean on whenever I felt hopeless and vent to whenever I felt stressed and discouraged. Not gonna lie, it is hard sometimes in college when I don't have anyone to cry to. I miss you mom and I hope to see you next week.

---
Happy birthday, dad.
Dad, I don't know if you know this, but you are the best dad ever. You are even the best man, human being I know. You are my role model -- you don't even know how much I look up to you. Whenever people asked me, "Who do you like better, your mom or dad?" my answer was always you (not that I disliked mom or anything..). You are the most outgoing, joyful, hilarious, easy-going, selfless, humble, and kindhearted man I know, and I am SO happy to call you my dad. It makes me tear up whenever I think about how much you work to provide for the family. Your aching back, tired eyes, restless legs... But you still make time for family -- going camping, hiking, canoeing, biking, playing basketball with my brother.. I don't know how you do it, dad. And I don't know if you've realized this, but people absolutely love you dad. They love your personality and the selfless person you are. You're so involved at church, pursuing your passion -- as you are in church choir now haha -- and you've been elected as one of the leaders for this grocery association thing? You continue to inspire me and motivate me, and I really aspire to be like you.
I just wish that you wouldn't "yolo" it when it comes to your health though. I do NOT want what happened to grandpa to happen to you. Please please please be healthy dad. Please don't drink everyday and please don't eat meat everyday. I love you dad, I just want you to be by my side as long as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment