Friday, June 19, 2015

What is a healthy body?

I'm seen as healthy and normal in the U.S., but to my aunt from Korea, I've "gained weight", I have extra fat, I'm chubby, you get the point.
I am fine with my body. I would like to be healthier as in exercising more and eating nutritional foods, but other than that, I'm pretty comfortable in my own body. I have fully functioning legs, arms, fingers, eyes, ears, brain, heart, lungs... I am healthy and alive.
Yet most Korean people are mainly concerned about their appearance more than their health. Is it really worth it to torture your own body to achieve a certain look? Is it really worth it to get that selfish, temporary satisfaction?
Why are you so concerned about your appearance? I know, a leaner and fitter body sometimes indicates health, but it gets out of control to the point where you're obsessed with having a certain type of body. I hope the media will stop promoting that skinny means pretty.
You are worth more than your appearance. Achieving a certain look is merely a temporary satisfaction.

I'm not saying to not exercise / eat healthier to lose weight if you're not comfortable with your body. If you think it'll make you happy, go for it -- but do it with right intentions.

No comments:

Post a Comment