Saturday, July 11, 2015

A Grief Observed / Christian Feminist


And so, perhaps, with God. I have gradually been coming to feel that the door is no longer shut and bolted. Was it my own frantic need that slammed it in my face? The time when there is nothing at all in your soul except a cry for help may be just the time when God can’t give it: you are like the drowning man who can’t be helped because he clutches and grabs. Perhaps your own reiterated cries deafen you to the voice you hoped to hear.
On the other hand, ‘Knock and it shall be opened.’ But does knocking mean hammering and kicking the door like a maniac? And there’s also ‘To him that hath shall be given.’ After all, you must have a capacity to receive, or even omnipotence can’t give. Perhaps your own passion temporarily destroys the capacity.  
- A Grief Observed C.S. Lewis
I don't really have much to say about the book other than that this passage convicted me of a lot of things I've done/thought about/prayed about these past couple weeks.

A Grief Observed PDF:
https://korycapps.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/cs-lewis-a-grief-observed.pdf



Christian Feminist:

There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. - Galatians 3:28 

One of many things I struggle with / have a hard time agreeing with is what the Bible says about gender role / gender identity / controversy over abortion in our society. I know I shouldn't take the bible word for word because I have a translated version and because a certain message can be interpreted in many ways. This is something I'm still researching and reading about. So when someone asks me, how are you both a Christian and a feminist, I can only respond by saying, I am too trying to figure that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment